This month I transferred from my original branch library at MPOW to my new branch library. I've been here for an hour and a half, and I am already digging into my new responsibilities. First on the list: ideas for my display for April!
I went looking for a list of April "celebrations". Did you know that April is:
- Arab-American Month (United States)
- Autism Awareness Month (Canada & United States)
- Confederate History Month (United States)
- Earth Month (Canada & United States)
- Financial Literacy Month
- Jazz Appreciation Month
- Mathematics Awareness Month
- Month of the Military Child
- National 9-1-1 Education Month
- National Child Abuse Prevention Month
- National Poetry Month
- National Volunteer Month
- Parkinson’s Awareness Month
- Prevention of Animal Cruelty Month
- Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD) Awareness Month
I was aware of one or two, but some of these really surprised me!
I have decided that, provided no one grabs it first, I'm going to make my April display a financial literacy display. In my search for ideas, I found that the government offers free publications for libraries at http://promotions.usa.gov/cfpblibraries.html - I'm looking forward to ordering some bookmarks and a poster for our English- and Spanish-speaking patrons.